Thursday, November 19, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving


Thank you Lord,
For each new day you give to me,

For earth and sky,
And sand and sea.

For rainbows,
After springtime showers.

Autumn leaves,
And summer flowers.

Winter snowscapes so serene,
Harvest fields of gold and green.

Beauty shining all around,
Lilac scent and robin sound.

Stars that twinkle high above,
And all the people that I love.

Amen.

~Printed from Hallmark cards, 1980


I found this poem on a large framed poster at a thrift store before I had my first child. I instantly fell in love with it.

As my children grew, I made sure I hung it in each of their rooms, hoping they would glean the joy of gratitude that was held within its meaning.


The frame is falling apart and the poster is splashed with marks of red punch and maroon colored scribble. But I still savor its happiness every time I read its words.

There is so much to be thankful for.

I will post again the first week of December. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for so many things, one of which is YOU. I'm so grateful to be your friend, part of your critique group, and part of your family too.
HUGS,
L.T.

Linda Garner said...

Lovely poem. Lovely thoughts. Today is a great day to be thankful. Happy Thanksgiving. Love,LG

Carolyn V. said...

L.T. I am grateful for you too. You are a wonderful friend!!! =)

I love our critique group, too. What a great group we have.

Linda, thanks, I love that poem. Have a great Thanksgiving next week!