Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Is It a Deal?

Like most—maybe all— writers, I learned to write by writing and, by example, by reading books. ~ Francine Prose

If you want to be a writer, you need to read a lot of books. I really believe that. That’s the quickest way to learn the craft. That’s awesome, because reading is fantabulous. Reading is a delightful journey. Reading is discovery. Reading is escape. Reading is coming home.

I love reading, so that part is easy. Finding the time, that’s another story.

When do I read? Like you, I often sandwich bits of it between other activities. A snatch here and a snatch there. It helps to keep a book in the car for those waiting moments, and one in the bathroom can come in handy. A few pages at bedtime is always a treat, provided I can find my reading glass. I only need them at night, so it shouldn’t be hard to keep track of them, should it?

Long stretches of time for reading hard are to come by, but very enjoyable. Refreshing. Uplifting. Comforting. Restful. I treasure such luxuries. Wrapping up in a comfy quilt and sipping hot chocolate improves the experience, if you can imagine. However, reading in hammock under the summer sun is just as lovely.

There’s no shortage of reading material in my world. I can’t possibly live long enough to read everything I’d like to. It’s my privilege to personally know lots of wonderful authors. I wish I could read all their stuff. Since I have a limited budget, I love, love, love the library.

As a lover of picture books, I frequent the picture book section of the library. I bring home armloads of picture books and devour them, sharing tasty morsels with my family, especially the peanut butter crowd. A well-written picture book is magical. Sharing the magic is unforgettable.

My book club is awesome. We meet once a month over potluck and talk about the book we just read. We have fun and they keep me reading. They have introduced me to authors and books I had never met. Sharing a good book with friends is like hiking a mountain together. It’s a fun path, and the view at the top is incredible.

I read some great stuff last year. I wish I had kept a list. What were your favorite reads last year? You tell me yours, and I’ll tell you mine.

Is it a Deal?

Linda Garner

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Yes finding the time to read while I'm trying to get my first draft of book two done is HARD! My TBR list is growing at a remarkable rate ;p

only .99c, The Arrival, now on Amazon
www.damselinadirtydress.com

Christy Monson said...

I love reading all the Newberry and Newberry Honor Books. I know they'll be a good read.

One of my favorites was "The Help." It takes a bit to get into it, but the message is powerful and the tension is high at the end. It was a great read.

Christy

Carla said...

Keeping a list is a great idea! I have a hard time remembering much more than a week! One surprising gem I found was Have You Seen My Potty? It had us all laughing!

~Carla
carla-jansen.blogspot.com

surfwriter said...

Hi Linda. You don't know me, but I'm a friend of Christy's, so I follow your blog occasionally. Finding time for reading is a problem, and for me sometimes that means books on tape while I'm driving, applying makeup or dusting. I've kept a reading list for many years, which is helpful as at my age I sometimes forget if I've read a book! :}
As a wannabe author, I read, read, read, and then try to emmulate the style of authors I like. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. IF you ever have a moment to spare, check out my blog:
http://surfsidewriter.blogspot.com
Lynda Scott

Unknown said...

I have recently gone back into a reading frenzy. I will read anything and everything, but, like you, there is just too much to read. I am so thankful for the time I have at the moment to read and love that my boyfriend reads a few pages to me each night (we are reading 'Lord of the Rings' as he's never read it).

As for what I've read in the past year - I can't remember most of the them - my favourite was definitely 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' by Mary Anne Shaffer as it caught my imagination and stood up above the rest.