Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Words Words Words

I'm playing hookie today. My friends and I have gone off to a writer's conference at BYU. We're having a wonderful time, and learning all about our favorite thing....words.

Words, Words, Words.
Words are dancing in my head.
They’re whirling and twirling in my head.
Enchanting words like mystical, and fanciful, and whimsical,
They’re tippy-toeing in my mind, for I’ve a tale to tell.
I’d like to tell of fairy wings and dragon tails and handsome kings.
I’d like to speak of magic things
And catch you in my spell.


Words, Words, Words.
Words are creeping through my head.
They’re squirming and worming inside my head.
Hysterical words like quivering, blood-curdling, spine-tingling,
They’re shivering inside my mind, for I’ve a tale to tell.
I’d like to tell of eerie sights, and spooky nights, and flickering lights.
I’d like to speak of dreadful frights
And catch you in my spell.


Words, Words, Words.
Words are swimming in my head,
Like little fishies in my head.
Pirate-ish words like walk the plank, and thar she blows, and ships what sank.
They’re walking the gang-plank in my mind, for I’ve a tale to tell.
I’d like to tell of pirate ships, of treasure maps, and mermaid lips,
And hooks instead of fingertips,
To catch you in my spell.


Words, words, Words,
Words are marching in my head.
They’re on a stage inside my head.
Dramatic words like mesmerize, and hypnotize, and tantalize.
They’re acting out inside my mind, for I’ve a tale to tell.
I’d like to tell of mystery, of tragedy, of comedy.
I’d like to speak theatrically,
And catch you in my spell.


Linda Garner

3 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

Linda! When did you have time to do this? It's great! I'm so impressed.

I've been up until midnight critiquing papers. (So you may have to tap me many times to wake me up during classes=))

Anonymous said...

Linda, I adore this poem. It's one of my very favorites of your pieces!

I hope you're having a fun time at the conference and that my driving hasn't scared the "words" right out of you!

* said...

W O R D S! I love them almost as much as chocolate. Or the other way around. it's late & i'm confused.

Please post details about the conference when you can! I was considering going but chickened out...and will probably regret it and then end up going next year or something (sound familiar?). ;)