Monday, February 25, 2013

Courage to Speak Out



Are you ever afraid? Well, I am. This entire week I have been arguing with myself about putting my name out there to do author visits and speaking engagements. I know I need to do it. I really like meeting people at author signings. It’s very fun and I enjoy myself. I know I’ll like doing author visits and speaking, but it’s so hard for me to put myself forward.

But, here’s my commitment: Make contact with three groups a week and make myself available to speak. Get several talks outlined (just in case people don’t want to ask questions and visit informally.)

See, my problem is this. I’ve always been in the background in our family. I’m the one who takes care of the kids and doesn’t speak in public. My husband is the teacher and the speaker. I have to get over that idea, but it’s hard. We’ve been married a long time. (Okay, I’m whining here, but give me a little break.) It really is hard.

So if any of you live along the Wasatch front and would like an author visit I would love to come. I also love to do author visits for Activity Days for Primary for those of you who are LDS. (All of you write back so I won’t have to call anyone.) Just kidding!

I’m serious. I’d love to come speak to your writing group about my middle grade fiction or the two self help books that are coming out with Familius. I’m writing one on Family Councils right now. I thought it would be a drag, but it’s really a blast to write. I’m charged about it!

You can leave a comment on the blog or you can contact me at either of my web sites.

Thanks for listening. I’m really not a whiner, I’m just an introverted writer that’s stepping into the unknown. :}

http://textingthroughtime.com/

http://www.christymonson.com/index.html

Thanks, Christy

“Discouragement is not the absence of adequacy but the absence of courage.” Author unknown.

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” Nelson Mandela

 



2 comments:

Bethany Elizabeth said...

That's really good that you're facing your fears this way, and making goals to reach out! That's wonderful, I wish you luck. :) (And if I ever run into someone who's looking for an author guest speaker, I'll put your name forward!)

Linda Garner said...

Funny how we're all different isn't it. I enjoy public speaking. It's really fun for me. I like teaching too. LG