Monday, August 12, 2013

Fun Summer Reads


I’ve been doing a lot of reading this past few weeks because I’m taking care of my mother who is dying of cancer.  She is getting weaker and sleeps a lot during the daytime. Someone needs to be with her, but there isn’t a lot to do.

So I’m reading.

I’ve found some really bad authors, but I’ve also found some really good ones. Here are a few.

I do love Patricia MacLaughlan’s writing. We all know her for Sarah Plain and Tall, but she has other wonderful books. Her character development is great, and her plots are gentle. (I do like gentle.)

I just finished Rodman Philbrick’s The young Man and the Sea. His character development is outstanding. The voice of Little Skiff is so true. You bleed for this kid as he forges through his problems. The pace of the book is fast. It’s a great boy’s book.

Deborah Wiles is a true-to-life humorous author. Love Ruby Lavender is an ALA Notable Book. Her others follow the same bent. They are very fun and make you laugh out loud.

I’d love to hear what some of your favorite authors are. I enjoy finding new ones.

Thanks, Christy


My picture book, Love, Hugs, and Hope When Scary Things Happen will be out in hard copy September 1st, 2013.


My women’s self help book, Becoming Free, A Woman’s Guide to Internal Strength, comes out for the Nook, Kindle and iPad September 1st, 2-13.





No comments: