Tuesday, August 20, 2013

We Never Know

Tomorrow I will attend the funeral of my nephew.  He was bright spot in many lives.  He was killed instantly last week in a car accident.  I don't know the details.  What I do know is that I ache for his family, whose lives will never be the same.

Losses like these are hard on us and those we love.  I can only offer them my love and invite them to focus on the Savior, who heals all wounds.  The pain will diminish over time, thankfully.  Hopefully, sweet memories will last forever.

Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercies, Lord.
Thou sendest blessings from above
Through words and deeds of those who love.

What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

When such a friend from us departs.
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

Today hug your loved ones a little longer.  Call someone you haven't seen in a while.  Forgive the one who has hurt you.  Mend some fences.  Build a bridge.  Remember to love and laugh with those you love.  We never know how long we will have them.

Linda Garner


No comments: