Tuesday, March 4, 2014

...or I can Write

It was a familiar feeling, but I couldn’t place it at first.  Tired?  Almost, but not quite.  More like inertia.  Can’t get moving.  No energy.  Sluggish.

I’m completely familiar with tiredness.  I’ve always struggled with energy.  Diabetes has something to do with it.  Thyroid issues don’t help.  Is it emotional or physical, I sometimes wonder.  I had a really good winter, and lately, even with allergies coming on way too early, I have a lot of good days.
Today I’m not tired, I just can’t get going.  At first I avoided my writing project, because I knew it would suck me in for the rest of the day.  I had things to do. After staring at facebook a little too long, I chose the writing after all.  I wasn’t getting anything done anyway.
It was a good choice.
Writing always energizes me.  At least inside.
About the tiredness.  It’s hard to understand.  It comes on suddenly for no reason.  It feels like a short circuit  in my wiring.   It’s as if someone turned the light switch off.  Even after 8 hours of sleep, I can’t get going.  Sometimes there’s brain fog, but not always.
That's probably why I talk too fast, and work too hard sometimes.  When I feel good, I know it won't last forever.  I try to squeeze all the juice I can out of those feel good days.
I listen to my body, and do the best I can.  I eat the right foods.  I exercise regularly.  I drink a lot of water.  I listen to my doctor.  I use herbs and take vitamins, but sometimes it doesn’t work.
Sometimes the dishes pile up.  Laundry and paperwork pile up too.  It’s okay.  Friend-husband helps a lot.  I do what I can.  And when I can’t do anything else, I can play the piano, I can read,

…or I can write.

Linda Garner

 

 

No comments: