Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Great Day for Remembering

Remember.

I love that word. I love to remember. Memorial Day brings to mind some images that I want to remember.

I want to remember brave men and women who sacrificed for my freedom. I have a better life because of them. Their gift to me is priceless.

I want to remember my heroes: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, William Tyndale, John Calvin, Martin Luther, Mary, Esther, Helen Keller, Johann Sebestian Bach, Alan Shepherd, Winston Churchill, and anyone who made a difference.

I want to remember the parents who gave me life and who made me who I am. I want to remember grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, and summer nights together.

I want to remember some simpler days; flag waving, lemonade sipping, ice cream churning, barefoot running days.

I want to remember 4 cent stamps, nickel candy bars, and pick-a-winner suckers. I want to remember dixie cups, orange crush, 45 records, and men on the moon. I want to remember drive-in movies, penny candy, and doing the twist.

I want to remember childhood friends, picnics and long bike-rides. I want to remember jr. high dances, my favorite crushes, and punch and cookies.

I want to remember high school graduation, college life, and dear friends who made life fun. I want to remember the teachers who shaped my thinking and my future. I want to remember the connections, the crossroads, the events that brought me here.

More than anything I want to remember the relationships that have made my life so sweet. Thanks to everyone who has ever touched my life. I love remembering. I love you.

This is a great day for remembering. What do you want to remember?

Linda Garner

3 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

What a great post.

As I reflected on Memorial Day, I remembered what a great country we do live in. We have so many freedoms that others do not have the fortune of having.

And all the service men and women that make this all possible. I hope they know how much it means to us. I hope they do.

Happy Memorial Day (a day late).

Melissa Amateis said...

Wow. Loved this post.

I want to remember so, so many things. My daughter as a baby, my college graduation, my grandmother's smile, the way my grandfather said, "So long!" instead of goodbye...

I keep a journal, so hopefully I can keep track of it all!

Anonymous said...

As always, a beautiful post by an even more beautiful person. We should all be so kind and grateful as you are.
Love you.
L.T.