Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I Love a Good Sort-Out

I think I have spent a good portion of my life dejunking. I seem to attract clutter. I know people who collect things. I have a friend who collects elephants, and another who collects teacups. I, on the other hand collect stuff. I blame it on my pioneer heritage. I hold on to things because I might need them some day.

I started the new year dejunking. It’s quite liberating. I am enjoying letting go of things that no longer serve me. When I finish dejunking a closet or a room, I stand back and admire the clean space I have created. It’s a nice feeling. Then I move on to another messy spot. I have so many messy spots that I will probably spend a good share of 2010 dejunking. Will it ever end?

Like a line I heard once on a Brittish comedy, I love a good sort-out. In my life, I have often found a good sort-out helpful. I enter the closet of my mind and find aging moldy thoughts and attitudes long outgrown or completely worn out, but not discarded. It’s liberating to toss them out, and make space for new ideas, new habits, a new me.

Dejunking my heart is another life-long process. It can be painful, but satisfying. I’m thinking of tossing out fear and making room for trust. Perhaps I’ll throw out anger to make room for love. Maybe I could clear out judgement to make room for joy.

Dejunking is such good therapy that maybe I should try it on my writing. Am I brave enough to look for clutter there? How many words can I afford to keep? How many is too many? Which ones should I toss?

Sometimes it hurts. But only for a little while.

I love a good sort-out.

Linda Garner

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm working on a sort-out, myself. Whether emotional, physical, or spiritual, I think a good sort-out is a great thing.

Bethany Wiggins said...

Don't take this wrong, but I seriously need to de-junk my butt. I'm still clinging to ten extra baby pounds. And my baby is almost one-and-a-half. So hard!!!

As for my writing, it is so difficult to cut your own words! It physically hurts!

Keep up the de-junking.

Carolyn V. said...

Oh de-junking. So much work, but you are right. Well worth the effort. =) Thanks Linda!

Anonymous said...

Can I just tell you it tickled me when I saw your title, because I know exactly where it came from. (something to do with clearing out a spare room to make a writer's office? Am I right?)

I love dejunking. I'm very good at it, because I had to do it every time I've moved - and that's been a LOT. It's very liberating, it's almost a fresh start all by itself. It's the same reason I love to rearrange the furniture, it's a new view without going anywhere. :)

Linda Garner said...

Hi Weston,

Yes you're exactly right. It was about clearing out a spare room to make room for an office. I love that show. Don't you.

We have lived in this house for 35 years. I have never moved, so I don't have a clue about dejunking. Do you hire out?

LG

Linda Garner said...

Be patient with yourself, Bethany, and enjoy that beautiful baby. Love, LG

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't want to hire me - I'm merciless when it comes to downsizing! My best friend won't let me in her house when she needs to de-clutter, what does that tell ya? :)

Linda Garner said...

Ouch! Well never mind then. LG

Kristi said...

Thank you for this post! I needed this today!!!

It's time for some sorting out of my own!