Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Living Bigger

Twenty two comments, L.T. Wow! I call that living big. I'd say you struck a chord. I love the idea of living big in your writing. I guess everyone else did, too. Your post reminded me of a Nelson Mandella quote I have sitting on my writing desk.

Our worst fear is not that we are inadequate; our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented,and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us. It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence authomatically liberates others.
--Nelson Mandella


Living small, playing small, feeling small, we all do it sometimes. When we write big, we do crawl out of our smallness, and it feels wonderful. What if we could take that idea a little farther? What if in real life we could crawl out of our smallness? What if we could find that bigness in our real lives. What if we could not just write our truth, but live our truth?

Now that would be living bigger.

Linda Garner

6 comments:

Shari said...

That was a beautiful quote. I so admire Nelson Mandella. Thanks for sharing it.

Carolyn V. said...

Nelson Mandella, very cool. Great thought for the day. Thanks Linda. =)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love the idea of "crawling out of our smallness". Wonderful. Thanks for this today - I needed it. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm making a slow step toward living big in my everyday life. It's taking time but I'm working at it. =]
Love that quote.

Stephanie Humphreys said...

I love this quote too. It is actually by Marianne Williamson, from her book "A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles," 1992 (commonly misattributed to Nelson Mandela, 1994 inauguration speech)

Bethany Wiggins said...

What a beautiful post.