Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Power of Books

Books can remind us that anything can be accomplished – even if wishing on stars. It can turn orphaned boys into magicians and even teaches little girls that the way home was inside them all along. And that all begins with an idea – an idea from a writer.

Do you remember in the 80s – There was that guy (after a tv show) that sat on his typewriter in his blue and white shirt typing a script. As he finished he pulled the paper from the typewriter and it would then fly through the air into a composed, neat pile of white papers for the editor? He made it look so easy. You just sit down, type and voila – finished story.

Unfortunately, this is not reality. Writing is an art that, just like masterpieces, takes time, thought and patience. But the patience is well worth the work.

In my first writer’s conference, they told us that if you expected a large paycheck, flowing stories or fame, you were in the wrong place. But if you have a desire deep down within you, a desire that pushes you forward to write, then you were in the right place.

Alas, once we writers start writing, we can’t be stopped (yes, I’ve tried, but the yearning to write keeps flowing out).

When that that’s when I remember the magic of books. Fairies, hobbits, adventures, pirates, sparkly vampires - all in books.

May all your reading/ writing goals this year be made. I’ve got my goals written and thought out. It’s going to be a great year!

What are your writing plans this year?

4 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

To persevere. To maintain a positive attitude in the face of great uncertainty. To buoy the hopes of others on this same journey. :)

Becca said...

Now that I've seen my word-veri I can't even remember what my comment was going to be. Because "xespezzl".Do you think I could use that in Scrabble?

But really, I think I wanted to say that I always loved that after-show guy, typing and floating his manuscript. And even then, I think I knew the difference between "writing" and "being a writer" - and I want to do the extra it takes to be a writer.

Anonymous said...

Books are so powerful. They've changed my life--so many times for the better.

My writing plans include deadlines, wordcounts, and conferences. What a year!

Linda Garner said...

Technology has changed our lives in many ways, and has made lots of things obsolete. Even newspapers are dying out, but books are still king. Why? It's the magic. It's the dream. Books can take us anywhere. Write On! LG