Thursday, January 27, 2011

Warning...You Might Want to Rethink that Title. Just Saying.

Photobucket
Hey guys. 

Well, my littlest decided it was a good idea to jump from the top of his bunk bed yesterday. 

Needless to say....he broke his foot. 

So, today I am carrying him from room to room --since he can't figure out the crutches thing (he thinks they're lightsabers and keeps waving them at his siblings mumbling things about not being the droids they are looking for. Whatever that's about ). So I thought I'd re-post something from years past.  

I'm hoping next week we will talk about conferences, because I'm making my list (and checking it twice)! 

I’ve been sitting her typing nothing for twenty minutes. So I got to thinking, does a title of a book mean that much to the content of a book? Possibly. I mean, what if:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was Chuck and his Culinary Assembly Plan, or even better… Chocolate and the Charlie Factory (I'd totally eat read that book).

The Twilight Saga was changed to The Very Sparkly Vegetarian Vampire Series (very fitting).

A Christmas Carol was changed to Merry Terror Christmas Stories for the Whole Family.

The Lord of the Rings was Circular Metal Devices of Theocrats and the Short Men who Love Them.

I guess that is why titles can change before they are published. That way the reader will (hopefully) be caught by the title of a book and pluck it off the shelf to take home. I mean, would you really want to read The Little Boy with Some Lightening Scar Thingy on His Head? Just not as catchy as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Well...now that I read it again....

Have a great week everyone (and I don't want to hear about any of you jumping from the tops of the bed. Seriously. One broken foot is enough).

7 comments:

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss carolyn! yikes! im just real sorry for that broke foot. that gotta be lot of work carrying him round the house. for that title stuff for me its real important to get a good one cause that the first thing you read and it could make you wanna read or not read a book. my cp said my wips title could need to be lots better so im trying to get one.
...hugs from lenny

lotusgirl said...

I glad he only hurt his foot. I love book titles. They do make a difference.

vic caswell said...

my naughty sons jump of the top bunk all the time! so far we've only had one injury. my poor sammy's head! i hope he heals up quickly

Christy Monson said...

I'm sorry about your son. But the humor in it would make a good children's story. He'll heal quickly. But in the mean time it's touch for you. I'll be thinking of you. Christy

MTeacress said...

Haha, thanks for the laugh! I tried to come up with a creative, twisted title, but I got nothin'.
My daughter broke her foot when she was about five. She had a big pink cast and the doctor gave her an oversized foot shaped sucker.

JLTan said...

Yes, sometimes, the plot takes a slightly different direction after the story has started. Or, as one rethinks, one sees that a different title fits better.

It is awkward, because sometimes, the original is more catching.

N. R. Williams said...

That last one was really funny. LoTR's...LOL
Nancy