Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Birthday America

I love my country and wish to bid her a happy birthday. What a privilege it is to grow up free in the land of opportunity. I am a flag waving, hand over heart, stand up for the Star Spangled Banner, kind of girl. I love America.

Problems? Yes we have a lot of them. I hope for change, like many of you. Change has many faces, and it can be good or bad, so be careful what you hope for.

I believe that change can happen one person at a time, as we become accountable for our behavior and quit hoping for government to fix things. I believe that change can happen one person at a time as we reach out to one another in love. I believe that change can happen one person at a time as we honor truth and virtue in our personal lives.

Wasn't it Ghandi who said, “Be the change you want to see in the world.” What beautiful and wise words. Imagine the possibilities of millions of Americans living their personal truth and embracing a more beautiful way of life.

Today, I honor my heroic country and give thanks for her. I honor the brave men and women who created her, and who have defended her. Thank you just doesn’t seem to be enough. Perhaps I can honor her and them by making brave choices and living a life of truth and possibilities.

I can be the change I want to see, and so can you.

Happy Birthday, America, and thank you, thank you, thank you.

Linda Garner

p.s.

To see a picture of our beautiful new granddaughter, click here.

No comments: