Thursday, February 9, 2012

Let the Conferences Begin!

This is it....the week all conferences begin!  Yes, LTUE is this week and I will be there stalking my writer friends and their agents. I can't wait. Since I'm in a bit of a crunch on packing time (okay, and laundry time...there is so much to do before I leave), I am re-posting my annual conference post:

Yes, it's the kickoff of many fine conferences. So I'm unplugging this week (only half the week) to prepare and mingle with other writes. I'm way excited. 

Here are a few things I've packed in the past, and highly recommend to anyone attending a conference this year: 

MnMs (because I have a noisy stomach and really, no one wants to be startled by that thing!) 

Pencils (even a pen, because I have broken a pencil a time or two and writing with plain wood just doesn’t work well. I did try to chew off the wood, but I had wood shavings stuck in my teeth for a week!)

Paper (To write on… and make spit wads to launch at people who are making me jealous). (j/k I would never do that, and that incident in New York last year - Not me.)

Crackers (Please see MnM’s above).

Notebook (At the conference last year I brought home piles and piles of notes! I expect the same today). I'm actually thinking of using my Alphasmart this year...Hmmm. 

Deodorant (this one is pretty self explanatory).

Couple of chocolate bars (because chocolate is the magical food made by tiny magical creatures from a magical land *sigh * and it’s so, so good!) 

A little extra coinage (for silly things like, food, bottled water, gas for car – stuff like that).

Antacid (There is a funny story behind this, I promise, but just not enough time to disclose. So sorry, and if you’ve heard the story * head hung low * you have my deepest sympathies). Next year I'll tell you about it...next year (say really raspy with lots of air...)

So there you have it! My list of stuff that I will be dragging through the halls with other devoted writers, breathing in the fumes of excitement and hope. If you see me, feel free to ask for a handful of MnM’s, hopefully I haven’t eaten them all yet, but it is very possible that I still have a few good sheets of paper left for spit wads.

Are you planning for any conferences this year?
See you all next week! 

1 comment:

Dawn Ius said...

A great list, for sure. For me, I need those Sweetheart candies...and chocolate. Maybe M&M's, but could be anything really. I'm hoping to go to the Homeric Writing Retreat in Greece in August, Thrillerfest in New York in July, and well, that will bleed any savings I have :-) Have fun!