Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Laughter the Best Medicine

I love to laugh. I love people who make me laugh. It is an art to be sure. Some of the best writing can make you laugh and cry at the same time. I love writing that makes me feel something and invites me to do something. Maybe it invites me to change, but at the same time it lightens my load a little by making me laugh. Maybe it helps me learn to laugh at my self.

I’d like to put more humor in my writing, but I haven’t figured it out yet. Learning to laugh at life is one thing, but writing about it is another. I critique with some very witty ladies. They make me smile. They make me laugh. I don’t know how they do it.

Someday I’m going to write something hysterical and tickle your funny bone, but for now, I’m just happy to have friends that make me laugh.

In spite of the fact that I can’t write funny, I do have a funny story to tell.

My son, Devin got a very scary phone call last Wednesday. Devin is not known for being a good driver. He loves speed. He has never worried about speeding tickets. He enjoys speeding so much that he doesn’t mind paying the fines. Because his tickets were often in different counties or even states, they never really caught up with his driving record, until recently. In December he got one too many speeding tickets and in February he was notified that he had too many points. His license was revoked and he humbly showed up for traffic school to take some points off his record. Without traffic school, his license would be suspended for 3 months and he would be reduced to walking and bumming rides.

We cheered a little at his discomfort, because we had tried everything to get him to slow down. He couldn’t believe what was happening to him. He said, “Why didn’t you tell me they could take my license away? I’d have stopped speeding if I’d known that.” Why didn’t we tell him?

Everything worked out. He got his license reinstated and became very motivated to avoid speeding tickets. Even with traffic school he couldn’t afford any more points for two years. Even a minor ticket would put him over the point limit, with a mandatory suspension of at least 3 months. They only allow you a one time chance at traffic school, so he knew if he got another ticket he was wannabee driver.

Back to the scary phone call. Last Wednesday a woman from the Highway Patrol called and told Devin that he had been clocked at 5 miles over the speed limit several times on I-15 by their aerial tracking equipment. She named the day and indeed Devin had traveled from Idaho to Utah on that very day. The citations for those speeding violations were in the mail and Devin had 24 hours to surrender his license or a warrant would be issued for his arrest. Devin was stunned. He had questions. The woman had no answers, but she gave him a number to call.

Aerial tracking equipment? Five miles over the speed limit? Warrant for my arrest? Devin tried to make sense of this information and finally called the number he had been given. To his relief, the voice on the other end was friendly, even familiar.

“April Fool!” said a familiar voice. That familiar voice was the voice of his girlfriend.

Love that Girl!

Linda Garner

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm glad Devin understood the fun in our little trick.

I was the original caller from the Highway Patrol. Best April Fools Day ever!

Carolyn V. said...

Devin...Slow down buddy!

Hee hee hee! What an awesome April Fools!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! That's one clever chick-a-dee! Ha ha ha!!!

See? You tell stories very well! I laughed and then called my husband to read it to him over the phone. =]

Linda Garner said...

Hey Kristin,
Did you get extra credit for your service? Just wondering. LG

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!!! They're nicer than me - I'd have let him steam over it a day or two, told him he had to mail in his license - and then brought it back to him a few days later to let him off the hook!

Kudos on the best AF ever!