Thursday, April 30, 2009

Did I survive Storymakers? I Sure Did.

Last Friday & Saturday, Linda, L.T. and I spent two informative packed days in Provo, Utah attending LDStorymakers. What an experience! They had great authors, fantastic panels, and lots of water. There was a long line in the women’s bathroom.

First I want to give my thanks for everyone who made this event such a great success, the authors, the organizers, everyone. What a great conference!

For those of you who did not attend or who have never attended before, let me give you a run down of what we did.

Friday at 7:30 the three of us got to the conference and picked our tables for bootcamp. Bootcamp is where you meet with a small group of writers and a published author to critique each writers’ work. I went to the teen chic lit/ YA table with Crystal Liechty. She is so awesome! And cute. I was at the table with Cindy, Charlene, Maury, and Emily. Everyone at our table was excellent and I enjoyed everything I read. Good job guys!

After bootcamp we had breakout sessions. Everything from Annette Lyon’s Grammar and Usage to Jeff Savage’s Creating and Maintaining a Character Bible (which I am totally starting! I hate all those crazy loose ends). So many more I wish I could list.

There were panels to choose from (agent/editor panels, mystery panels, to romance panels), book signings, and even a keynote speaker, Dean Lorey, who was an extremely nice guy.

I had a pitch session with Lisa Mangum, who is not scary at all (all those weeks of preparing to meet with a fear-provoking editor, all in vain * I shake my fist and sigh with relief *). She even has her own book coming out this month. I’ve heard buzz about this book! It sounds fabulous (check out Tristi Pinkston's review). I will tell you one thing, I’m totally going to her book signing.

I meet so many incredible writers and authors, plus bloggers. It was just amazing. Josi Kilpack, James Dashner, Stephanie Black. You guys rock! Ashley, Melanie J., Nicole Giles, Kim, Weston Elliot. If I left you out, I'm so, so sorry, but I still love ya! There were just so many excellent writers and authors. It was wonderful!

I also have to give a shout out to Heidi Ashworth, the author of Miss Delacourt Speaks her Mind. She took time out of her busy get-away to meet with some of us. I have been very impressed with how kind she is on her blog (and funny), but after meeting her in person, I like her even more.

Well, there you have it. A superb weekend, a superb group, and superb gelato. What more can a girl ask for? Maybe a tube of fudge. I’m so there.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm so glad I got to meet you! I think you are such a doll! You hide behind that book so who knew?

Carolyn V. said...

Thanks Heidi! =) You really are awesome (plus nice and down to earth). It was so great to meet and chat with you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention - you're good for my ego!

I'm going to be at Lisa's book signing, too - maybe we'll see each other there!

Carolyn V. said...

Thanks Weston! I hope we do see each other there. It sounds like a lot of people are going.

Anonymous said...

I think this is the best summary I've ever read! It was a fabulous weekend and I had a great time. Thanks for not kicking me out of the room Friday night. ;)

Carolyn V. said...

I think I was asleep before the throwing-outs happened. But I wouldn't throw you out for the world, maybe your socks, but not you.

Kidding!

I had a great time with you! You even got to sing in the hall with Stacy. How awesome is that?

Rachel said...

I could use the fudge right about now :) Love the humor :)