Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Just Like Christmas

It was just like Christ-mas. That darling fed ex man left a package on my door. I couldn’t wait to open it, because I knew what was inside. It was the galleys for my book, Some Secrets Hurt. Was it a stubborn package, or was I all thumbs? Friend Husband had to help me.

My heart was dancing as we pulled out the beautiful pages and gazed at them in wonder. My dream is coming true. The artwork is lovely, the layouts are perfect, and the words are meaningful. The message is real and helpful. It is a message of hope and a message of healing. This project was inspired and I really cannot take the credit for it, but I am so grateful to have been included.

In my experience far too many lives have been damaged by sexual abuse. It is a rare family that has not experienced this heartbreaking betrayal of trust. It is time that a caring community steps up to the challenge and begins to put kids first.

According to the Parent Handbook distributed by the Salt Lake County Children’s Justice Center Current statistics show that one out of every four girls and one out of every six boys will be sexually abused by the time they reach adulthood. People who sexually abuse children are rarely strangers to the child victim. In fact, the abuser is most often well known to the child (i.e. a relative, family friend, or neighbor). Abusers can be male or female; adult or juvenile; of any race, religion, or socio-economic status.”

If that doesn’t frighten you, you need to read it again.

Some Secrets Hurt is for everyone. It can be a child’s first instruction in avoiding the nightmare of sexual abuse. It can be a tool for a parent who wants to prevent sexual abuse. It provides information for a parent who has discovered sexual abuse and is unsure of the next step. It can strengthen a child who is experiencing sexual abuse, and help them find the courage to tell. It can promote comfort and healing for those who have unresolved issues relating to sexual abuse.

Who is Some Secrets Hurt for? Who is it not for? If you are a child, if you have a child, if you know a child, if you have been a child, Some Secrets Hurt is for you.

Some Secrets Hurt is being published by Shadow Mountain and will be released September 16. Every home should have one. My hope is that it will make a difference for children and families everywhere. Won’t you join me, and stand up now for our kids.

Linda Garner

P.S. My thanks to Brandilyn Speth, my talented friend and illustrator. Her illustrations are magic. You will love them. My thanks to all the wonderful people at Shadow Mountain who are making my dream come true. We would love to hear from you. Feel free to contact us: LindaGarner@somesecretshurt.com, Brandilyn@somesecretshurt.com Watch for our informative website: http://www.somesecretshurt.com/. Coming soon!



5 comments:

Michele Ashman Bell said...

Linda,
YOU ARE INCREDIBLE AND AMAZING! I am so happy for you. I know how much this means to you and how hard you've worked to make this happen. This is a day of celebration and triumph!

Carolyn V. said...

Whoo hoo! We are so excited for Linda and Brandilyn. They have worked so hard on this project.

As a lucky critique groupie, we got to see the galleys. The book is beautiful and the message is wonderful.

Way to go girls! =)

Jennifer Taylor said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a beautiful story.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! CONGRATULATIONS!
HOORAY, HOORAY! LET'S PARTY TODAY!

Linda, I am so THRILLED for you and Brandilyn! This book is beautiful, helpful, touching, and inspired. I just KNOW it will be a success! Oh, I'm so happy for you two!!!!!

The Allens said...

You go girl!!! I am so poud of you for continuing on with your dream and progect. I will get a copy of your book in September. After all my years with a group in California called, "Come Unto Christ" I rejoice in seeing more come to light on this sensitive subject. My blessings go with you.
Sister Allen, otherwise known as Marilyn.