Thursday, March 29, 2012

Dealing with Disappointment

I think I was more nervous then my son. I even felt like throwing up.


They called the runners up. Not him. It was okay. He could still get first and the scholarship, too. It would be okay.


He fidgeted with his suit in front of cameras and hundreds of people as the announcers paused.

His face fell when they named the winner. I wanted to run up and hug him and tell him everything was going to be alright.
It was a quiet drive home.

Disappointment happens to everybody. But it's not the winning or the disappointment that defines who we really are.


It would have been nice to see my son win. He's worked through a lot (he has autism). But winning never makes him who he is on the inside.


I think as writers, it is easy to get discouraged. When we start, we think all we have to do is write a quick story and everyone will love it. We'll get an agent in a week, we'll be on the best sellers list (because Mom thinks it should be). But we learn there is more to this journey than that.


There is work. Hard work. Revisions, edits, finding agents, writing more books and yes, the occasional chocolate binge. (Which I was just told can be good for you! Yay chocolate.)

But we should not let the disappointments (or the successes for that matter) define who we are.


My son is doing great this week. The award ceremony is in the past. It has changed some things for him (going to a different college), but he is happy and full of excitement for the future. It didn't define him or destroy him. He is continuing to be awesome!

I hope this writing journey finds us all where we dream of, but if not, it's okay. With every door that closes, another one opens.

How have you dealt with disappointment?  Do you think it was for the best?

Have a great week everyone! Good luck with the writing/reading/ laundry cleaning/ whatever! ;)

2 comments:

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Carolyn
I'm sorry for your son. On the bright side, as you said, winning doesn't define him. I think in the end, we are stronger for having lost. It builds character in us. Have a great day and thanks for not forgetting I am around.
Nancy

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

In the words of the song... "Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again" Easy to say but not so easy to do...