Thursday, March 22, 2012

Victory!

Thank you Photobucket! 
For those of you who have been following me for a while, you know that I've been trying to run for a long...long...long time.

I've always had issues with running (side stitches, shin splints, pulled tendons, chocolate cravings while running...curse you delicious chocolate).

 A month ago, I started running and just ran. I gave myself little goals and marked off each one as I passed it.

 Well, last week I finally had a break through. I ran without getting winded (it's not really winded...it's more like dying-I don't feel like dying anymore). I know! I can't believe it either!

The secret: Consistency. 

Instead of being wishy-washy (I'm not talking about my mountain of laundry...although it should be wishy-washy), I set a goal to run 3 times a week and I increased my running time (from like five minute to ten...hee hee, j/k. I run an hour-not all of that is running).

I can't believe the difference it's made! Why didn't anyone tell me sooner? (Evil eye to all my skinny runner friends.) I know I'm not the best runner, but hey...I'll take this victory (with a side of m-n-m's please)!

The same thing goes with writing. If you want to get that book finished, if you want to become a better writer...be consistent. Set little goals and achieve them, and then set more.

I know I've been stuck in that writing lull this year and the only way I pulled through it was setting aside writing time and sticking with it. It's done wonders!

So tell me, what are your little victories this week? What writing tips do you want to pass on that have helped you get passed the lulls? Anything...anything?

Have a great week everyone!

2 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

Congratulations! My husband has struggled with issues too. I'm glad you overcame your injuries.

And what a great analogy for writing too.

Dawn Ius said...

Congratulations! I am an on again/off again runner - I love how I feel when I do it...the trick is just to DO it. Indeed, consistency is key - pretty much with everything.