Monday, March 19, 2012

Weekly Ramblings

I’ve just been reading a new book, Save the Cat, by Blake Snyder. So far it is an excellent review on how to set up a story that people will remember and develop characters that readers and movie goers will think about long after the story is over.
I’ve had several friends recommend this to me, and I find it a good read. Pick up a copy at the library or order your own, if you are interested.
This week I’m grateful for my critique group. I get so discouraged sometimes; I need a boost from them. Otherwise, I would have quit trying to get published long, long ago. I need them to listen to me, and then give me a swift kick in the behind to keep me going. I am thankful, thankful, thankful for them.
At our League of Utah Writers meeting this past week we had the Jolly Fish Press (http://www.jollyfishpress.com/) come talk to us. I was really impressed with the deportment of their members, workings of the small press, and the willingness to talk with groups around the area. I don’t know if you’re looking for a publisher, but these guys seemed to have it all together.
They had a marketing director and a publicist which I thought was great. Also, another plus for small presses is that the authors seem to because good friends and stick together at book signings, etc. There seems to be a great esprit do corps with these groups. Another plug for the small press.
Well, those are my ramblings for the week. Take care and enjoy writing.
Christy

2 comments:

i'm erin. said...

I'll have to check out Blake Snyder's book. Thanks for the tip.

Stephsco said...

I've seen this book recommended so much. I had trouble finding it until I realized it was shelved with books on movies and screenwriting, not on how to write fiction. :)