Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Winter Kind of Magic

There’s nothing like the stillness of a quiet winter day,
When nature’s temper tantrum has blown itself away,
And all that’s left of anger is the biting winter air,
And frosty white reminders painted everywhere.
Just yesterday my forest friends stood shivering in the cold
Their spindly arms stark naked; their noble trunks stood bold.
Today those same bare twigs are plump with winter’s finest lace
Sparkling in the winter sun, who shyly shows her face.
Each forest lady wears a crown of diamonds and pearls.
Each royal beauty nods and winks at other stately girls.
There’s a special kind of quiet when the earth is robed in white.
Peace whispers to us softly as we marvel at the sight.
A thoughtful kind of silence fills our thoughts with gentle things.
We listen to the stillness as our hearts begin to sing.
It’s a time for winter solitude and for sweet memories.
It’s a perfect time to ponder; time for simplicity.
A winter bird chirps softly a cheerful winter song
And I feel a kind of winter calm; a winter kind of strong.
There’s a winter kind of magic and a winter kind of sound
When, in winter, forest ladies put on their royal gowns.



I tried writing a winter poem in Arkansas, but with no snow, I didn't get very far. This morning as I looked out at the breathtaking beauty of a snow covered earth, I knew that today was a perfect day for writing a winter poem.

Linda Garner

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very beautiful. And ironic because I was just thinking about how sparkly it looks outside and thinking someone ought to put it to verse. You read my mind!

Thank you for sharing it with us! I always love your poetry.

Love,
LT

Carolyn V. said...

How do you do it? I am amazed and awed. I too love your poetry.

Someday I shall write poetry...Oh, who am I kidding. I'd better stick to the stories :)

Beautiful words. Thanks :)