Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tending My Word Garden

I love my flower garden. It’s mostly perennials with a few annuals thrown in for color. Perennials are awesome. They come back every year (fingers crossed) and don’t need a lot of tending. A little fertilizer, some water and they’re good to go. Friend-husband and I love the unusual ones. We can’t resist perennials with a bit of texture and funky shapes or colors. We like adding new ones and watching them grow.

This morning when Friend-husband and I stopped to admire our garden we were a little shocked to see that weeds were taking over. When did that happen, I’d like to know. Did I put the welcome mat out or something? I’m pretty sure I signed up for the weed-free zone. Did my paperwork get lost?

Well, Friend-husband is awesome and he usually does most of the weeding. I like yard work, but I’m a little time-challenged. He works so hard, though, and the weather was delightful. Weeding with my best friend is not a chore. Together, we got rid of the worst offenders. I promised to finish the job tonight in the cool of the evening when he is off to a meeting. I hope I remember.

While pulling weeds I thought about my writing. Some days I think I’m pretty good. Things are blooming in my word garden. I have an unusual variety, and I am especially fond of the words with texture, or unusual shape or color.

I can get carried away with the fertilizer,though…and the weeds. Where do they come from? It’s such a shock when I find out that my word garden has been invaded by unwelcome guests. Honestly. Who put them there? It’s not as if I would fill my garden with such riff-raff.

I truly think that someone sneaks into my computer in the dead of night and messes with my words. I have some serious weeding to do.

Linda Garner

5 comments:

Dawn Ius said...

My cit partner is an avid gardner (and excellent writer) and would love this analogy. I'm sending her to your blog today :-) Happy wedding!

Linda Garner said...

Thanks, Dawn. It was so fun to read your comments because we actually do have a wedding this week. My son is getting married on Saturday. I think your subconscience figured that out. LOL
I know you meant happy weeding, but I loved the happy wedding. LG

Unknown said...

I am so the same way with my garden. I like low maintenance perrenials, but the weeds always show up, shockingly quickly.

As for writing...I'm afraid lately I've let the weeds take over there, too, but I'm coming in with a weedwhacker!

Carolyn V. said...

Awesome analogy Linda! I'm sure you will have both the garden and the computer weeded in no time. =) Good luck with the wedding, too. You are such a busy woman!

Vicki Rocho said...

Great analogy! I wanna know where those weeds come from too. Must be some kind of word troll who accesses my document while I'm asleep. LOL