Monday, December 27, 2010

A Working Holiday

Since I love writing every day, the holidays are a bit difficult for me because I want to spend some time with my characters and their journey. But when Aunt Trudy comes calling with her three boisterous boys, time gets away from me. However, I’ve found I way I can continue working while engaged in festive activities.
Number one boisterous boy, belonging to Aunt Trudy, twists his hair (right in the cowlick on top of his head) into a rooster tail. He’s twirled it so much that he has a bald spot on the top of his head. The rooster tail is thinning! What an interesting quirk to give a character.
Aunt Trudy loves to talk. Every sentence either begins or ends with, “Ya’ know, kid,” followed by a little giggle. It would take a unique character to give this idiosyncrasy to, but it’s an unforgettable trait. (Sometimes it does drive me a little nuts! Okay, a lot nuts if I’m around it too long!)
Grandma Gertrude, who is nearing 100, loves to sit in the corner and watch the world of children and activity go by. Once in a while she’ll pull a family member aside to ask them if they can see Uncle Joe (who died 30 years ago) singing in the choir across the room. (Who knows, maybe there is a group of singers from the other side serenading us across the room. It may just be that we are the ones who can’t see or hear them.) An interesting addition to any story.
Now, I’m sure you can think of quirky little traits that your family members have. Jot them down and use them (in disguise of course) in your next story. Better still, share them with us, and I’ll use yours and you are welcome to mine. That way no one will ever trace them. :}
Happy holidays! Christy Monson  

No comments: