Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Do You Want to be an Artist?


As a picture book author, I’ve often wished I was an artist too.

If I could create the art for my own stories, would more doors be open to me?  I wonder.  The publishing world is changing.  E-books have given us a new medium.  For this I don’t need a publisher, but I do need artists.  Finding an artist can be challenging. 

I am sixty years old.  Is it too late for me to learn art?  Is it even possible?  I know what I like, but I don’t know how to create it.  I’m not even good with stick figures.  Even with no obvious talent, I wonder.  Is it ever too late?

My awesome internet friend Will Terry, the amazing illustrator, has a bunch of cool tutorials and there are even some about learning to draw.  By blogging about Folio Academy, I can win a free tutorial, like Digital Painting in Photoshop, How to Use Color, Acrylic Painting, Painting on the I-Pad.  There’s also Beginning Drawing.  That’s the one I want.  Maybe it’s not too late for me.

 Even though I’m not an artist, I learned a lot from How to Illustrate Picture Books. I purchased it over a year again, and found it really helpful.   I’ve watched it over and over again.

Oops.   I could have received one of these cool video series for free, if I had made the deadline.  I just realized that I missed the deadline by two days.  Darn.  Still that beginning drawing tutorial is a steal at $12.95.

Want to be an artist?  Click here to see what Folio Academy has to offer.

Linda Garner 

No comments: