Monday, October 15, 2012

Is Blogging Still A Viable Social Media?

Here's my two cents, for what it's worth.

This past week I've had two encounters with publishing companies who wanted to know the number of followers I had on my blogs. The face of blogging may be changing somewhat, but it is still an important part of social media.

I received a contract two weeks ago for a self-help book. (I'm a retired Marriage and Family Therapist.) When I signed the contract, the publisher ask what my social media numbers were. He also strongly suggested I work to increase my list of followers. His ideas are good, and I will be implementing them on my Connections Blog.

My new Texting Through Time book will be out on November 13th, and I have been keeping a fast and furious pace, emailing with that publisher. Before they will book the larger stores for a launch or signing date, they need to know my social media numbers. So it all matters.

I enjoy Facebook. I like connecting with friends and family and taking a few minutes each day to see what's going on in the world with everybody.

Twitter is kind of overwhelming to me. I don't use it much. But some of the people in my critique group love  it. They talk with many of their friends daily because it can be done in a such short time. I call them "abbreviated friendships."

Blogging is still a lot of fun for me because I can say what's on my mind.

What are your thoughts on this subject? Where are you with each of the social medias. Are there changes in blogging?

Since I need to increase my numbers, I'm open to any wonderful suggestions any of you have.

Thanks for sharing. Christy Monson

No comments: