Monday, March 7, 2011

Getting Lost

Getting Lost
When you sit down to write, do you ever get lost in your manuscript? Well, I do. As you know from last week, sometimes I’m arguing with my main character. Other times I’m lost in the sensory aspects of the scene. I can feel the breeze in my face, smell the ocean, squish the sand beneath my feet, etc.
When the phone rings or something else pulls me from my reverie, it’s jarring for a minute. I have to remember where my place in the world is – what I’ve got to do. Does that irritate you? Well, it does me at times.
After I’ve had a stretch of ‘getting lost,’ I feel high – like a runner’s high. What a wonderful experience to be lost in your head. I love doing it.
Again, it comes back to that ‘crazy thing.’ Maybe I am really crazy. When I’m 101 years old and my grandkids come to see me, they’ll just say. “There’s grandma doing that crazy thing of hers again.”
It’s a great way to live, isn’t it? Wouldn’t change it for the world!
Christy

1 comment:

Jolene Perry said...

The only problem with getting "lost" is time gets lost with it :)

I can't tell you how many times I've sat down to write after kiddos go to bed, and when I look back up at the clock, it's nearly midnight.