Tuesday, March 29, 2011

No Contest or is there?

As April nears, I wonder what I can do to make a difference. April is Child Abuse Prevention Month and Sexual Abuse Awareness Month. Since writing Some Secrets Hurt, a book designed to prevent sexual abuse, I have found myself passionately involved in fighting child abuse of every kind. It’s an uphill road, especially with sexual abuse. Hardly anyone wants to talk about sexual abuse, at least not publicly. In private people will talk. I have heard many sad stories. Everyone has a story.

But publicly things are different. Many people want to look the other way and pretend it isn’t happening here. I encounter lots of roadblocks. I have a wonderful presentation for schools, but schools are very hesitant to open that can of worms. I have written some great articles. People have promised to publish them and then get cold feet and give me some lame excuse. It is discouraging.

My dream is to create a safer world for children everywhere. To do that, we need to start talking about sexual abuse. We need to be more open and give children and teenagers knowledge and tools to take control of their own bodies. This is the reason I wrote Some Secrets Hurt—to open the door to communication. I would love to see Some Secrets Hurt in the hands of families and children around the world.

Spreading the word is challenging, because it is a difficult subject. When I mention sexual abuse, some people feel threatened, others don’t understand the danger. For many, though, the danger is very real, because they have lived the nightmare. I do presentations and write articles to fill in the gaps between the limited promotion my publisher is able to do and what I feel needs to be done. At times it feels like I am fighting a losing battle. I can’t give up. This battle is too important. It’s not about book sales, it’s about children.

Please consider what you might do during the month of April to prevent child abuse. Your suggestions are welcome. I would love to hear what you have to say about preventing abuse.

I have considered hosting a contest which would encourage you to do some helpful things. I have received mixed reviews on my contest idea. Some of my author friends think contests are effective, other think not. I would love to know how you feel about it.

Do you like contests? Would you like to make a difference? How passionate are you about preventing sexual abuse? If I host a contest, are you likely to participate?

Linda Garner




I

3 comments:

Carolyn V said...

I think you are dealing with a very sensitive issue Linda, but you do such a great job with it. I have always been impressed.

N. R. Williams said...

I probably wouldn't participate in a contest. I rarely do that anyway. My current situation dictates my time, things are very difficult for me right now. I hate abuse in all its ugly forms and applaud you for writing about it. I don't know how I would be able to help. I am sincerely sorry about that.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

The Blogger Girlz said...

Contest or not I would be interested in participating/helping.
- Aaron