Monday, April 4, 2011

Critique Groups – My All-time Favorite Soap Box

Wow! What a week I’ve had. Life has not been happy at my house! I’m trying to maintain my composure and dignity, and I want to handle things rationally. Well, I have! One of the reasons I’ve been able to do it is because I have so much love surrounding me.
This is my lucky week because two of my writing groups meet this week. My Wednesday night “Writing Divas” is such a supportive group. We can throw out ideas, explore thoughts, disagree with each other, laugh a lot, dissect a manuscript into small pieces, catch up on each other’s lives and, last but not least, hug and kiss. I always come away feeling full of warm fuzziness. AND my writing is improving. Next meeting it’s on to query letters (dastardly nemesis that they are). I know I’ll get through it, and maybe get back to querying  agents.
My Thursday night group is a highlight of my week. Nothing EVER interferes with Thursday night group. (My family thinks I’m a little compulsive, and I am.) The few pages we turn in every time get scrutinized, acted out (you should see the ninja-moves and swords that show up), reworded and praised. It’s one of the most synergistic groups I’ve ever seen. The pay-off is: two members with book contracts, one published author and one with an anthology publication. Soon everyone will be published. (You noticed that there were three 'publication' words in the last two sentences. I meant it that way.)
So, my advice (soap box): find yourself a critique group, enjoy the ‘bleep’ out of it and walk the path of love, support and publication.
Christy Monson

3 comments:

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss christy! wow those sound like cool groups for sure. im happy for you that you could go get lots of help and support for your writing. when i get older im gonna find a group like that.
...hugs from lenny

The Blogger Girlz said...

Critique groups are an amazing resource. I don't know what I'd do without my group.
- Aaron

Christy Monson said...

You guys are right on! You rock!
Christy